What to do if rabbits nibbled fruit seedlings?
What to do if rabbits nibbled fruit seedlings?
Protection from rodents shrubs and trees are recognized to be one of the most important points of preparing the garden for winter. The consequences of the fact that mice and rabbits will eat the bark of plants, very difficult to overcome. But the damage rodents and trunk, and branches, and roots is not always a sentence. If prevention did not work or has forgotten about them, the affected plants can still be saved, although their health and have to fight. From simple garden Vara to methods special vaccinations — there are many rehabilitation options for the shrubs and trees after the invasion of rodents.
What plants most often suffer from rodents?
Fruit garden and berry bushes favorite – not only plants that suffer from the winter activity levels. But they often become the object of attention of the mice, hares and other who love to eat the bark of plants of a garden.
Special Pets rodents were always apricots and apples, but under threat in severe winters are often even simple berry. It is believed that the special harm of the orchard cause rabbits with their strong legs, enabling them to reach the branches. But mice, and rats are no less dangerous. They operate more covertly, under the snow getting to the roots and the base of the trunk, literally podgoriza trees and shrubs. The activity of all rodents especially increases when depleted other food sources in late winter and early spring.
No matter how thorough the protection of the garden from rodents, it is not always able to cope with looking for any available source of food by the visitors. Regular inspections and strengthening of shelters, too, may not be enough.
If rodents chewed fruit trees and other plants, the first thing to do is not to panic and not to take «extreme» measures. Before you get rid of the sapling, is to assess the damage to sensibly weigh the chances of success and, if the lesion is not full, try to save the plant.
Determine the extent of damage and risks
To find the optimal strategy for recovery of damaged fruit trees and other affected seedlings from rodents, is to determine the degree caused plant damage. Rodents can:
- partly to nibble the bark on the trunk;
- to nibble the bark on the trunk circumferential (ring);
- eat skeletal and small twigs;
- harm roots (most often injuries occur only in the spring, when the trees fall down and is easily pulled out);
- to chew through the tissue of the root collar.
All kinds of injuries, even small, put the trees at risk of frostbite, infection, disturb the SAP flow and cause drying, not to mention the reduced stability and productivity.
On the chances and timing of recovery of the plant is affected by two factors:
- the condition of the cambium (whether suffered in the cambium and started the drying process?);
- and the area of destruction.
The save is only trees which have at least part of the cortex is not damaged (there should be at least 20% of bark and roots). So the smaller the area affected, the higher the probability that a seedling will survive and will be restored through the years. A serious risk of the death of the plant – more than 50% of the bark or roots are damaged or any ring failure.
How and when to save damaged plants?
How quickly the measures will be taken to protect the trees from frost and drying out, often determines the chances of success. Once the wounds will be noticed, you need to wrap all the chewed trunks and branches wrap and protect agricultural fiber, or other insulating materials to damage the bark and added more damage to frost. As early as possible in the spring, once the snow melts and before the spilling of the kidneys and the beginning of the growth, it is necessary to proceed immediately to the main methods of struggle.
All measures for the victims of rodents plants are aimed to compensate damage and plant protection – wound healing of bark and cambium. And options not so much because of the nature of the damage.
For the best methods of healing damaged seedlings belong to:
- the medical bandage;
- «transplant» crust;
- vaccination «bridge»;
- drastic pruning.
Vaccination bridge and drastic pruning is applied when damage to the cambium ring of the nibble, and the first two methods for minor injuries.
The therapeutic bandage is best for small wounds
It is a kind of artificial «protection» until the sprouting of new bark that are left on the tree to heal wounds. The creation of medical dressings on fruit trees consists of four procedures:
- treatment of wounds growth stimulants and fungicides (systemic drugs, a decoction of the bark of lime (200 g per 1 liter of water) solution of copper sulphate of 3% concentration, etc.);
- full coverage of the surface damage plots without bark and moves garden pitch, wound healing pastes or professional caulking for trees; they have protective, disinfectant and healing properties, and create a solid coating which does not crack;
- tying trunks and branches paper garden with a bandage, gauze or natural cotton (linen) fabric; the material should have good breathable properties and the prospect decompose over time;
- a protective coating woven dressing tape (to protect wounds from water and bacteria) or a second layer of «putty».
Instead of a garden Vara and putties you can use regular clay mash. The ideal ratio is 4 parts manure to 6 parts of clay, mixed to a thick paste-like consistency. But pure clay, which is applied with a layer thickness up to 3 cm under and above the fabric.
Medical bandage leave until next year. If you use clay mash it off.
Engraftment of healthy bark on the bare, stubby barrel is a complex and not always justified way. To prizeplay can only own bark of a tree, taken with the healthy branches. The size of the patch should exceed the size of the injury 4-5 cm.
The bark is applied on cleaned, leveled plot exposed tissues, primativa tape. When you protect the tree from drought and regular fertilizing by the end of the season, the bark can take root in a new place. But this method strongly affects the growth and endurance of plants and it is often used for ornamental, not the fruit seedlings.
Restore the power of wood thanks to the scions to receive new «channels of power» and to compensate for damage to the cambium.
Used for grafting annual shoots, shoots, healthy twigs with a diameter of about 0.5 to 1 cm (both damaged and other trees). Cut cuttings with a length equal to the length of the wound on the trunk with the addition of 10 cm For plants with thin stems (to 3 cm) used 2-3 twigs for trees with powerful trunks, from 5 cuttings.
After Stripping the edges of the wound and treatment with fungicides (for example, a one percent solution of copper sulfate), vaccination is carried out above and below the wound. The t-shaped incisions insert is cut at an acute angle the edges of the graft, securely locking the cuttings in any way. To speed up the healing help ordinary processed garden pitch, and the additional strengthening of the film.
Such grafting allows you to create a kind of bridges the conductors connecting the plots with an intact cambium in the bypass annular wound, new channels of power plants. With age the shoots grow together and form a kind of thickened knot on the trunk.
On trees older than 5 years with strong and healthy root system the cropping option on the back of growth allows to save the plants even when severe damage. Usually this option is used on Apple trees.
Before the spilling of the kidneys of the trees cut down on the kidney, immediately treating the stump garden pitch to stop the growth. The development of new strong shoots from the roots and dormant buds allows the plant to recover around the old stump.
Restoration of affected roots
If mice and rats gnawed through the roots on young plants up to 5 years, the strategy of saving only one. This is a neat treatment of wounds and slow recovery with the trim the roots and crowns, installation of supports and partial replacement of the substrate on the special semispace.
Plants with roots are eaten (if damaged not more than 80% of the roots) in the spring to undertake full processing of roots:
- dig and shovel the soil exposing the rhizome;
- all the wounds, gnawed and gnawed areas are treated with a solution of a fungicide, a growth stimulant, and treated carefully with ashes;
- for the plants establish a strong foothold, which some years will serve as an additional support;
- in the soil add wood ash (2.5-3 litres) and superphosphate (250-300 g), cover the plant and gently tamped the soil, carefully filling the space between the roots;
- The crown cut off, trying to leave as many branches, how many are left intact roots (if damaged 80% of the root system, cut 80% of the branches, etc.). The root system and crown must be trimmed; leave only the strong, healthy skeletal shoots;
- a few seasons in the winter a fruit tree to protect from rodents and frost more thoroughly.
Trees with damaged roots are restored slowly at first building up the rhizome, and then the crown.