What plants are suitable for Allergy sufferers?
It is believed that indoor plants help clean the air of toxins, impurities, heavy metals and allergens. But for those who suffer from allergic reactions, they can become a source of Allergy. In addition to the legendary plant-filters, which secrete volatile and absorbs harmful substances, there are many plants from the groups of dangerous for people with allergies. Therefore, people prone to allergies to pick up any plants for landscaping at home to the mind. What plants are suitable for Allergy sufferers, will be discussed in the article.
How does an Allergy to plants?
The choice of plants for gardeners who suffer from allergies, especially contact or respiratory a big challenge. And absolute recommendations or guarantees with even the "safe" plants can not give one. All allergic reaction individual.
To proceed in search of "their" plants always need what allergens are dangerous in each case. Scent, pollen, edge or rough leaves, prickly needles or juice – to analyze and consider all possible hazards.
Getting indoor plants, which are theoretically safe, Allergy sufferers should pay attention to the quarantine and try to adapt not only the plant, but himself to his company. Closely monitor how you react to the proximity of any room pet, while he is in isolation from the main collection. If you have any signs of allergic reactions arising at the entrance to the room with the new plant, it is necessary to isolate it from contact.
The symptoms of allergic reactions to plants can be as follows:
- dry, often hysterical cough;
- sneezing, uncontrolled and repetitive;
- severe nasal congestion or, conversely, "current" nose;
- redness and itching on the skin, usually on open and the most delicate areas;
- tearing, redness, swelling of the eyelids, itching in the eyes, conjunctivitis;
- prolonged exposure or severe manifestations — difficulty in breathing, asthmatic reaction, severe headache, depression, drowsiness, apathy.
Even correctly chosen plant for the allergies could still be a problem if the flower is not looked after. Build-up of dust, pollution of soil (especially the development of mold at the top of the substrate or on pallets) even the most "friendly" species can reinforce all responses. Not plants, and the dust and dirt accumulated on their leaves and remain the main enemy of gardeners who are prone to allergies.
The plants cleaned the air and brought only benefits, they need to keep clean and "Shine". So, it would seem, not too dangerous, and even recommended palms or ficus trees with small leaves (e.g., everyone's favorite ficus benjamina) can be a source of allergies without hygiene. The number of leaves is also a huge area for collection of allergens and dust.
Wiping the leaves (wet in hairless cultures) and dushevnie treatments that Allergy sufferers should spend more often recommended. Fresh air, frequent ventilation is necessary not only to plants but also to prevent the accumulation of allergens.
How to choose the perfect plant for people with allergies?
Choosing indoor plants for interior decoration, is to seek a balance between security and decorative. To sacrifice the latter is not required, because the blossoming of culture can also be hypoallergenic. It is necessary to pay attention to the labeling on the labels and do not hesitate to ask details from the seller.
Before you buy you should definitely communicate with the plant closer to stand next to at least 5 minutes, touch the leaves, smell. As a rule, in close contact, the first signs of Allergy appear vividly and immediately. If you have any doubts, you should ask to make the plant away from the neighbors and make sure they do not cause you irritation.
Flowering plants to choose the most difficult, but there are some rules that will help you find pyshnotsvetuschy accents without risk to the health of allergies:
- first and foremost, pay attention to pollen and stamens: the fewer and shallower the better (such as orchids and begonias pollen in the air is not isolated, and the spadix of Spathiphyllum can be cut prior to its maturity);
- Terry flowers is always safer varieties with gustomahrovye get, sacrificing the number of stamens, so they are much safer than semi-double and nemahrovye options;
- tropical species requiring high humidity for Allergy sufferers almost always safe pollen in the air gets significantly less, and the dust accumulates quite differently.
And it is worth remembering that even the "doubtful" species you can always set floral showcase, completely isolating the room from the pollen and essential oils, or put the plant in a personal Floriana.
Safe room Pets
Among the safest types for gardeners suffering from allergic reactions include many of the favorites that can be safely placed even in the bedroom:
- orchids, devoid of the strong flavor (especially, non-allergenic species is Phalaenopsis);
- begonias (both flowering and foliage);
- Heather and Erica;
- pineapple, bromelia and all its relatives (vriesea, guzmania, etc.);
- Carioca, butia, windmill palm and other types of compact trees;
- cacti are not blooming or flowering cactus forest, with the exception of types with easy snap-off spikes (primarily pear);
- room (vygonochnyh) bulbs – crocuses and daffodils;
- annual or perennial garden-plants — roses and hydrangeas.
"Enemies" it is better to know in person
The best strategy for choosing plants for Allergy sufferers — except in those species that can cause harm. Allergy is most often caused by pollen, but some plants actively emit into the air, alkaloids, enzymes, essential oils, which can lead to allergic reactions if you are hypersensitive.
Some dangerous are plants belonging to the class of skin irritating or poisonous (if not prone to allergies of plants, the edge, thorns or juice can become a small stimulus, leading to inflammation, the Allergy-free contacts can be a source of more dangerous reactions).
When selecting plants that would be "compatible" with allergies of different types, the first is to perform a group of flowering plants with large stamens and anthers and ferns. Disputes the latter can cause the same reaction, like pollen. Type of allergies and a tendency to reaction to allergens is a key factor.
If you have any allergies to plants and pollen in the garden or in nature, is to abandon all vigorously flowering fragrant plants. If the flowering reactions no never, you might think about the introduction to a collection of the most safe indoor flowering species.
The plants, which should be reported in the "prohibited" list for Allergy sufferers, it is necessary to add:
- all poisonous plants, irritating the skin (aglaonema, philodendron, dieffenbachia, alocasia, Euphorbia, akalifa, jade, cyclamen, etc.);
- medicinal herbs and plants (Kalanchoe, lavender, oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc.);
- garden-room types with basket flowers (gerbera, Aster, chrysanthemum).
Must be excluded in any type of allergies also plants with a very intense flavor, especially the night (eucharis, crinum, Allamanda, Catharanthus, lilies, Aristolochia, oleander, rhododendron, Camellia, abutilon, citrus, etc.). Plants that are actively secreting essential oil (pelargonium, Myrtle, cypress and other coniferous room).