Asparagus is a perennial herbaceous plant (as there is Karenina grass, vine or shrub) of the family Asparagusic. Native to South America, parts of Africa and Asia (in the vast tropical and subtropical forests), but to pinpoint the homeland of this plant is impossible. Description of asparagus can be found in the Ancient Greeks and the Ancient Egyptians, but the exact date of appearance of this plant in human life it is impossible to tell. Externally, the asparagus is similar to a potted fern, is a lush green, but not all types it is represented by leaves. Some role play leaves needle-like twigs.
Flowering asparagus, usually on the fifth or sixth year in the spring (March-may). The asparagus flowers are small and inconspicuous, are in the leaf axils (somewhat similar in structure to the flowers of lilies, and when the asparagus was referred to the Liliaceae plants). Flowers can be single, or can be included in the composition of inflorescences, can be gay or bisexual. The shape of the flower is correct, stamens six. The fruit is a berry with large seeds.
Asparagaceae not create of follicles, and have a vertical rhizome with photosynthetic shoots. Asparagus can be used for decorative purposes such as room or garden plants, agricultural (as vegetable culture known to mankind more than two thousand years) or medical (mostly it refers to traditional medicine, but also precisely because of this plants get aspargin).
The species diversity. Description of specific features
According to many sources the number of species of this plant ranges from one hundred to three hundred, but the most common ones are feathery asparagus, Crescent and asparagus Springer. In addition to adequate dissemination and application received:
- Asparagus asparagoides. Twining shrub, glabrous stems which are light green, stems are flexible and thin. Plant height can be over a meter and a half (but in this case it requires additional support for shoots). Stems (though more correct to say phylloclades, as they changed) leaf-shaped, oval-shaped and bright green in color. The flowers of this asparagus are white and small, and the fruits represent the berries are reddish-orange hue. Used as houseplants.
- Feathery asparagus. Climbing shrub with glabrous stems and lots of branches. The leaves are like a small triangular brown scales. Modified stems are collected in bundles of from three to twelve pieces, differ slightly curved shape and light green colour (thanks to this fishnet appearance quite popular in floral design). Flowers small, white, solitary or in several pieces. The fruits are bluish-black colour. Feathery asparagus is a houseplant.
The finest asparagus. Similar to the previous species, but it changed the stems are thin, long and rare.
- Sprenger. Climbing shrub with glabrous, strongly branching, but weak stems. The flowers are white, berries are bright red, poisonous (but, despite this, this kind of extremely popular among gardeners). This room kind of asparagus.
- Medialogic. High branching evergreen plants with modified stems. Cut a branch of this plant for a very long time retains its fresh appearance even in the absence of water.
- Racemose. Shrub with long scandent stems. Cladode form bundles. Flower bright pink, gathers in the brush and has a fairly noticeable scent.
- Crescent. It is a large beautiful plant, like a vine with thick and long curly shoots (up to fifteen meters). Flowers white, fragrant, form the brush size to eight centimeters. With age, this plant is dark. A very common indoor plant.
- Common asparagus (asparagus officinalis or asparagus pharmacy). Has high (five feet) erect naked stems. Leaves scaly, white flowers yellow, berries brick red.
- Bukhara. Branches are located at an angle of ninety degrees, up to sixty centimeters. Modified stems are short and thin and grayish-green.
- Asparagus rich. Shrub has woody stems. Grows up to five feet. Flower white and fragrant.
- Caspian. PPE has a branched stem, long cladodes, which are collected in a bundle.
- Pacific yew. Winding low-growing herbaceous plant, like its medicinal counterpart.
Asparagus curly. Curly grass with bare thin curved shoots. Cladode needle-shaped, straight or Crescent shape. Flower yellow-white.
- Asparagus Meyer. Low shrub (up to sixty cm) with thin branches, incredibly popular with florists.
- Asparagus multivalent. A low erect herb with a bluish color.
- Asparagus fern. Herbaceous plant, the stems are slightly sinuous and smooth. Flower greenish hue.
- Asparagus Persian. High herbaceous plant (up to four metres) with winding bare stems.
- Asparagus disregarded. Stems straight, slightly curving upwards.
- Asparagus coastal. Low plant with straight and short cladodes.
- Asparagus seaside. Low (half) with winding stems of bluish color. Flower yellowish-white.
- Asparagus edible. A branching plant up to a meter tall with very small kladovye. The flowers are greenish-white in color.
- The fine-leaved asparagus. Grows to one meter, with straight smooth stems with thin kladovye.
How to care for asparagus
Caring for asparagus is simple but laborious. In the room where the asparagus is growing room, the temperature can rise more than twenty-five degrees and not drop below eight, although there are room types for which the temperature should not fall below fifteen degrees (for example, asparagus Meyer, but higher for him, too bad, this kind of generally requires more attention in winter). These plants suffer from drafts and direct sunlight, but diffused very, very good, but also feel good in partial shade. Very well this plant to make the fresh air (at the corresponding temperature).
Asparagus is a very beautiful ornamental plant.
The asparagus plant is tropical, so humidity also likes the high, so if you have a problem with that, you will have to buy a humidifier or frequently spray the plant with water (but not cold, and room temperature), and sometimes you can even make a «shower». He generally loves water, and water it copiously (at least three times a week), and in winter the soil to keep moist. In addition, the winter room the asparagus should be put away from radiators and heating batteries.
As for the soil for this plant, it is better suited to slightly acidic (humus, sand and leaf mold or of turf, sand, humus and leaf mold). To feed in summer (during the growing season), complex fertilizer, but you can also do it in spring and winter and take organic or mineral fertilizers. Pots better to choose large and loose.
Once a year, the asparagus should be transplanted. To do it better in the spring, cutting off the root system and old branches. If asparagus is not young, then transplant it should be less often – every couple of years.
Multiply room asparagus with seeds, but you can also divide the rhizome and use the cuttings.
Reproduction by seeds.
If you take the seeds, they are sown from January to March for seedlings in soil (peat, sand). All the time the germination of the surrounding temperature is kept at twenty-one degrees. When it grows to eight inches, they are transplanted in pots. If you use the rhizome, then divide it by another transplant. Choose cuttings in March from a shoot last year and transplanted them into sand (wet), and after rooting (can last up to six weeks) jail in pots.
Possible problems and their solutions
If something in the care of the asparagus you’re doing wrong, or he had some kind of disease, a houseplant will tell you. Therefore, we will give a description of the plant, how it becomes with the appearance of diseases, pests or improper care.
The plant requires proper care.
Yellowed and crumbling leaves talking about dry and heat the air in the room. To help the plant to reduce the temperature and turn on the humidifier. Spots on the leaves of asparagus can indicate a sunburn, so it must hide from direct sunlight in partial shade. Brown edges of leaves appear when the drying of the soil or excessive lighting, so you need to hide the plant from the light, or to increase watering. Pale leaves are opposite when there is insufficient light, so in this case, the plant requires more light. Wither room while asparagus root rot due to excessive watering in this case you need to give the earth to dry better.
Also harm can bring:
- Spider mite. When it appears on the leaves appear white spots cotton, the leaves begin to turn yellow and dry, and between them appears webs. To combat this pest using soapy solution, which carefully wipe the leaves (better to take the soap), but you can use insecticides, which are used to treat plants.
- Scale. She resembles a turtle shell or flat aphids (description is quite approximate, it is better to find the image, so as not to confuse with similar parasites). If you encounter such a pest (and notice its mono only periodically thoroughly inspecting your houseplant) sick of asparagus isolated, with a cotton swab impregnated with insecticide to wipe the places where insects, then washed with a soap solution (you can even use a soft brush) leave it to dry. On dry plant spray insecticide, and for forty minutes, cover with polythene (you can take a simple package). Two days later, a houseplant again rinse under the shower.
- The thrips. When they appear, the leaves become silvery, and a sick plant needs to be isolated. To combat these insects, you can use insecticides, but you can try to treat indoor plants with a solution of soap and tobacco (the first method will be safer in times).
The use of asparagus
In addition to ornamental species of asparagus, which we used to decorate their homes and garden plots are very popular and his «vegetable» species, which in addition to cooking are also used in folk medicine. Harvest is possible from the fourth to about the seventh month of the year. The first sprouts can be whitish, greenish, pinkish or purple hue.
The food can be eaten young shoots, eat them raw or throw heat treatment. A more detailed description of recipes with asparagus you can get on the Internet. In its composition in a large number of contain much:
- Amino acids.
- Of Riboflavin.
- Of coumarin.
Asparagus is useful for:
- the work of the kidneys
- ion exchange
- the formation of red blood cells.
This plant is an excellent choice for a cleansing diet, but it can not be used for people with inflammation of the kidneys, peptic ulcer disease, Allergy to asparagus, cystitis.
For medical purposes use the roots of asparagus. Traditional medicine offers it for the treatment of hypertension, rheumatism, heart and vascular diseases, kidney diseases, stomach, liver (description of the recipes you can take in the network). But remember that to treat without the knowledge of the doctor is not only bad for your health, but dangerous.